Thursday, June 2, 2011

Banana Bars

Well I lied..not intentionally tho....I turned on the oven again (it was down in the 60's) so I guess this summer occassionally I might be turning on the oven... In my previous post I said I was done cooking in the oven for the summer... maybe not ;) wink....

Anyway these Banana bars are awesome... I was looking for something different to do to use up some bananas that were going brown (didn't want to waste them :)  I frosted them with canned cream cheese frosting (got the stuff out to make homemade icing and forgot to buy the cream cheese ....duh....) so 1 can will put very thin layer on them 2 cans will be a little thicker.... enjoy

Banana Bars

1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. baking powder

Heat oven to 350.  In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder.  In another large bowl mix together with electric mixer the eggs, sugar, vanilla and shortining until combined. Mix in bananas.  Add dry ingredients just mixing until combined.  Spread in a jelly roll pan (I used a 1/2 sheet pan sprayed with non-stick spray).  Bake about 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean ( my bars stayed light and didn't brown).  Remove from oven and let cool completely.  Frost with cream cheese icing or dust with powdered sugar.  Store leftovers in fridge. 

1 comment:

  1. Just in time Joelle....I have bananas that need to be baked with. I'm thinking about doing a pineapple up-side down banana cake. What do you think? And your recipe is made just like mine.

    ReplyDelete