Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Chinese Ramen Coleslaw Chicken salad

I love chinese ramen coleslaw salad.. It is one of my favorites... just tasty ,tasty, tasty :)   I thought since it is the new year 2013 and one of my resolutions is to eat better.  Eat healthier,and to incorporate more vegetables and more protein into my diet.  What better way than to eat a tasty salad..YUM... I added a handful of raw almonds and shelled pumpkin seeds to boost the protein up, but you can add sunflower seeds or just leave them out entirely.  I think that they add a tasty crunch to the salad.  You can also add whatever veggies you like to this salad... I used green peppers, but you can add red, orange or yellow ones... or cucumber or anything.. add what you like...
**NOTE** This salad is best eaten the day it is made.  I usually make it a couple of hours before serving to let the flavors blend.  If you do have any leftovers store in a covered container in the fridge and splash just a little more rice wine vinegar on it and mix well to boost the flavor.   Enjoy

I also make this salad in the summer time and leave the chicken out altogether.. It makes a nice side dish with grilled meat...

Chinese Ramen Coleslaw Chicken salad

1 package shredded coleslaw mix (from the produce section)
1 small bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup shelled sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1 cooked chicken breast, chopped in small pieces
1 cup shredded carrots, (I buy the bags of them in the produce section)
3 T sesame seeds
1/2 green pepper, small diced
1-2 packages Oriental ramen noodles, broken up fine


Dressing
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
1/3 cup sugar
1 T sesame oil
1 T soy sauce
The seasoning packet from (1) of the ramen noodle packages
pinch of salt & pepper



In large bowl place coleslaw, green onions, almonds, seeds, carrots, chicken, Ramen noodles & green pepper.  Mix well.  Place dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.  Pour over salad and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for a couple of  hours.  Mix well before serving.  Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment