Monday, December 6, 2010

More Pumpkin... Pumpkin rolls

My friend Mark is hooked on Pumpkin Rolls.... he is on a mission to find them... LOL which makes me laugh... and think why on earth have I never attempted to make a pumpkin roll???  Oh wait a minute.... I remember that I did attempt once to make one and oh my gosh did it turn out awful... broken awful mess... (tasted good but looked horrible) this is supposed to be a roll not a mountain of pumpkin roll... LOL.... So it got me to thinking of developing a recipe.... Which got me to noticing that I ran out of pumpkin (see previous blog about all things pumpkin) and you will notice why I have no pumpkin in the house... So off to the store to buy some... LOL you can see my previous blogs about pumpkin as to what to do with the remaining pumpkin that you have on hand.. I made more pumpkin fluff... just follow the recipe as written using the remaining pumpkin that you have... enjoy

I looked online and all around for pumpkin roll recipes.... they are pretty much similiar some have nuts, some have more filling, spices sometimes are a little different.  I wanted traditional and yummy.  So here is my version....hope you enjoy


**note for the icing... I double the recipe and use about 1 1/3 the amount in my pumpkin roll cause I like lots of filling (not too thick though or it won't roll properly).. then I put the remaining filling in a serving dish and serve it on the side for those who like extra filling... (like me :)


Pumpkin Roll


Cake:
Powdered sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
Pinch of salt
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup Pumpkin


Filling:
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
6 tbls. butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease a jelly roll pan with nonstick spray.  Line pan with waxed paper.  Grease paper with nonstic spray & sprinkle with flour.  Sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar.

Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt & pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl.  With electric mixer beat eggs & sugar until thickened.  Mix in pumpkin.  Mix in flour mixture about a 1/3 at a time until mixed.  Spread in jelly roll pan spreading out in an even layer.   Bake for 13-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.  IMMEDIATELY loosen cake and flip out of pan, carefully peeling off waxed paper.  Put towel sugar side down onto cake (where wax paper came off of) and roll up.  I roll the long way but you can roll whatever way you like, narrow or long (the cake will be thicker if rolled the narrow way or thinner if rolled the long way).  Your prefrence.    Cool on wire rack completely.

For filling beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter & vanilla until smooth.  Carefully unroll cake remove towel and spread icing on cake in an even layer.  Reroll cake placing seam side down on platter.  Wrap cake in plastic wrap and place in fridge for a couple of hours to set.  To serve unwrap cake, place seam side down on platter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve slices of cake... **see note about extra icing if you like... enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment