Friday, December 17, 2010

My Mom's Mac & Cheese

I just wanted some good old comfort food today.... With a teething/sick baby and me who it seems like catches everything everyone brings home (yes I take vitamins)... comfort food fit the bill.... My mom makes awesome macaroni & cheese.  Everyone who tries it loves it... You can easily double the recipe for more people.  Also use whatever cheese you have (I like at least 1/2 sharp cheddar, but lots of times I clean out the cheese drawer just chopping, grating & mixing in whatever I have).  I have used smoked gouda, a little parmesan, whatever.  Also during the last 15-20 minutes of baking, you can add smoky links to the top of the dish, or you can add cubed ham to the uncooked dish and cook as normal, I wouldn't recommend using smoky links to the uncooked dish cause they have a tendancy to burn.   You can eat this as a main dish or it goes well as a side dish.  Enjoy

Mac & cheese


1/2 box elbow macaroni, cooked until about a minute before the box says it is done
1 can evaporated milk
2 cups milk
2 eggs
8 oz. cubed cheese
1 cup shredded cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic& onion powder
seasoned salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbls. butter cubed
smoky links or cubed ham (optional)


Spray baking pan with nonstick spray.  Place both milks in pan.  Add eggs & seasonings mix well.  Add drained cooked macaroni, and the cheese mixing well.  (If adding ham add now).  After mixing spread mixture into a layer. Dot top of casserole with butter.  Place in 375 preheated oven, baking for about an hour and 15 minutes or until casserole is set and browned and bubbly on top and sides. (Add smoky links if using and cook for additional 10-15 minutes.    Enjoy

1 comment: