Thursday, October 25, 2012

Ham & pineapple fried rice and Rice pudding for dessert

Today was a day that  needed a quick and easy dinner... With our very busy schedules I only had about 30 minutes total for dinner a quick dessert.  All it took was a little bit of preplanning.... let me explain...  I have been trying to do meal planning for the week.. to help in keeping our food budget down and to be prepared and less likely to grab some take-out food.  There were bell peppers on sale this week (red, yellow & orange & green peppers) which I love cause they are a wonderful way to get the "rainbow" (you know colorful foods into our families).  When I bring them home from the store I wash them, and get out the cutting board out and then my Rubbermaid containers (you know the ones with the lids to store stuff in the fridge) and get to work slicing.  I core them and take the ribs out, then I slice half the peppers (1 each red, yellow, orange & green) and place them in a container I use these for fajitas cooked with sliced red onion.  The the half of the other peppers I dice kinda small dice and place in the other container.  Then with my hands I mix the small diced peppers up.  I use half of the small diced peppers for stir fry, and the other half for a frittata (egg, veggies and cheese)  so with 4 peppers I get 3 meals out of them... Sometimes I use the colored slices not for fajitas but dipped in hummus or veggie dip.  I also cut up several small red onions after I slice the peppers and place the slices in another container for cooking with the peppers for fajitas.  Also I dice up small a red onion to cook with the stir fry.  See one chop sessions and lots of prep work for other meals during the week.  I then place post it notes on top of the containers and place them in the fridge so they don't get eaten up...


You can use whatever you like in this fried rice it is yummy and super easy with all this prep work. Also I cook the instant rice the day before and place it in the fridge.  I use 3 cups water to 3 cups of rice. I just one cup of rice for the rice pudding.  Enjoy



Ham & Pineapple Fried Rice


2 cups cooked cold white rice
1 cup diced ham
1/4 cup crushed pineapple (with juice)
1 small diced small red onion
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 each, red, yellow, green, & orange pepper) diced small
2 eggs, beaten
1-2 T oil
2 T Teryikai & soy sauce
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 t minced ginger
1 T brown sugar



In large skillet add oil.  Add onions, and peppers cooking over medium high for a couple of minutes until beginning to soften.  Add ham and rice.  Mix the Teryikai sauce, soy sauce, pineapple, garlic, ginger & brown sugar together.  Pour over ham & rice mixture.  Cook for 4-5 minutes until mixture is hot and bubbly.  Spread mixture to outside of pan leaving a well in the middle place a little oil then add eggs to center of well.  Using spoon scramble eggs until almost done mixing eggs into the rice mixture until all is combined. Add peas & cook for 2-3 more minutes.  Remove from heat and serve.



Rice pudding
1 cup white rice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 T half and half
1 t vanilla
1/2 t butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins

Cool whip or whipped cream to serve over the top  (optional)

In a saucepan over medium heat mix all ingredients together and bring to a boil stirring very often.  Turn off heat and let mixture sit until slightly cooled. Serve(adding whipped cream over the top) or place in fridge to get fully cold if desired.  Store any leftovers in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment