Saturday, September 7, 2013

Pear crisp

My friend gave me an entire bag of pears. She picked them from her Aunt's tree and had so many she didn't know what to do with them.  I started thinking what to do with all of these yummy pears.. Thinking, pear tart, pear crumble, pear pie, pear & applesauce, then it hit me..Pear crisp... It is fall and I love all things topped with a crisp topping, you know butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, oats, & a little flour... Heavenly, goodness right there... I made it just like I make apple crisp and voila.. perfection.. so darn good... I invited my friend over and she said oh my gosh..this is soo good... love hearing that :)  so use what you have.. pears, apples etc.. it's all good.. enjoy
**NOTE** These pears were small and not very ripe, a little on the hard side still, so I baked them extra longer & used a little extra sugar.  If your pears are RIPE, cut down on the sugar & total baking time..

Pear crisp

10-12 small pears
3/4 cup sugar
2 T. lemon juice
1 T vanilla
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger (I used the spice kind from McCormicks)


Topping

1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oats
2/3 stick butter, softened
pinch of salt
1/2 t cinnamon


Preheat oven to 375.  Spray baking dish with nonstick spray.  Wash, peel and core pears.  Chop into medium dice, place in large bowl. .  Add sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, 1 t cinnamon & ginger and stir to combine well. Pour into baking dish. 

In another bowl combine flour, sugar, oats salt & cinnamon.  Mix well.  Add butter and with fork mix until combined and crumbly resembling the size of peas.  Sprinkle over pear mixture.  Bake for around 40-45 minutes (***see NOTE).  Check with inserting fork into a pear and when the pear is soft, and the crisp is bubbly and light golden brown, remove from oven... Serve (can top with ice cream. or whipped cream) optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment