Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pimento cheese spread

OH MY GOSH!!! Where has homemade pimento cheese spread been my whole life??? I am asking myself that question... I have seen it multiple times on TV being made, and in cookbooks etc... and my only recollection of pimento cheese is the yuckky stuffy from the grocery store that I avoid like the plague.  I remember trying it one time and almost gagging..LOL from that stuff..YUCK.. NOT good..trust me.  the commerical stuff... no thank you ..I'll pass :)

But homemade, where you control what goes in there, put the flavorings and things you like in it... yes please....
I have a secret... I don't like cheese..there I said it.. I am not a cheese fan.  I like cheese on things... tacos, nachos, pasta, lasagna, but too much cheese I am not a fan.  My sister jokes..how did you get into our family?? LOL  anyway, I was walking by the little jars of pimentos at the grocery store, and it hit me.  I am making pimento cheese spread.  So I researched and saw all different ways, spicy, creamy, salty and thought woah..thinking I am going to come up with my own recipe, I can put what I like in it,so this is how the recipe was born.

You can eat this with crusty bread, or on crackers/breadsticks.  But I remember seeing one time a chef on TV made grilled pimento cheese sandwiches. So that is what I did, and oh my gracious I was in absolute heaven.  The best grilled cheese sandwiches ever.. My husband was like this stuff is awesome, and this is the best sandwich ever... A win/win in my book anytime :) thanks honey... I put a thin layer of the pimento cheese in between 2 slices of bread and put a little butter on the outsides of the bread, and cooked it over medium low (that is the trick, you need a lower heat so that the sandwiches have a chance to melt all that cheesy goodness without burning the bread). 

NOTE** Also, I used about 1/2 T of grated onion, you don't want pieces of onion in your dip cause it will overpower the taste of the dip, I just used a micro-plane grater), and I  used about 4 dashes cayenne pepper (start with 2 dashes and taste it, then go from there).  Also you have to let the cheese spread sit for a while and let the flavors blend, so you don't want to go overboard with the seasonings/flavorings.  They will get stronger and intensify while sitting. Also, I used finely grated cheese, but you can use what you have and like. 
Start with 1/3 cup mayo, and mix then add a tablespoonful at a time until lightly creamed together.


Make this for your family today.. enjoy

Pimento cheese spread

8 oz finely grated mild cheddar cheese
1/3 cup mayo (plus more if needed)
2 oz. jar of chopped pimentos, drained
1/2 T grated onion

Seasonings of your choice (I used a dash of seasoned salt *remember cheese is salty so use accordingly, a few grinds of cracked black pepper, 1/4 t garlic powder & 4 dashes cayenne pepper)


Place all ingredients in bowl and mix well with fork till mixed.  Cover dish and place in fridge to meld flavors.  Serve with crusty bread, crackers/breadsticks or make heavenly grilled cheese sandwiches.. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment