Saturday, November 22, 2014

Enchilada casserole

I love enchiladas, all kinds, beef, chicken, ground beef the list goes on and on.  What I don't like so much is all the work involved in rolling them all up.  It is a little time consuming and with  3 kiddos including a 4 year old, full time college, husband, house etc... time sometimes is not what I have a whole lot of quantity of ...LOL  With that being said, I thought, hmmm I wonder if there is a way to get the delicious flavor & taste of enchilada with a little less time consuming work.  That is how this recipe was born, and boy did it turn out and taste great with little to no fuss and mess which is a win win in my book :)

I use mild enchilada sauce but use what your family likes.  Also, I use a mexican blend cheese but you can use any type of cheese you like, cheddar, co-jack anything works.  I also topped mine with a little finely sliced green onion, but a red/purple onion will work fine too. I also serve with sour cream but again it is optional. If you like it spicer/hotter add some red pepper flakes or hot sauce to your meat mixture.
For the tortillas, I used flour cut into quarters, next time I am not even bothering to cut them up I will just tear them into pieces.

**Note...Also, I used about 1/4 cup chopped red/green/yellow peppers and onions mixed.  Whenever I am cutting up peppers and onions for anything(making  pasta salads, fajitas or stuffed peppers etc) I reserve about 1/3 cup (combined onions & peppers) you really don't miss it in your original recipe, and it is so nice to have this mixture already chopped up in the fridge to use in recipes for example chili, frittatas, to add to scrambled eggs, or enchiladas ;)  .  I just put it in a covered plastic container in the fridge.  You will be amazed how much you use this and it's nice that it's already chopped up ready to go.

Make this today, you will love it.. enjoy

Enchilada casserole

1 lb ground beef ( I use 90% lean)
2 small cans enchilada sauce
1/4 cup pepper/onions cut up **see note
1 clove garlic minced
small package of flour tortillas (I used 12)
1 package shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
1 cup frozen corn
sour cream & thinly sliced green onions for topping

seasonings of your choice ( I used 1/2 tsp each cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic & onion powder, a pinch of cayenne, seasoned salt & pepper to taste)


In a large frying pan add ground beef, garlic and peppers/onions, (when meat is half way cooked add frozen corn) browning over medium heat till browned.  Drain mixture if desired (I use lean beef so I don't drain it).  Add seasonings and 1/3 cup enchilada sauce to the meat, stirring well.  In baking dish place a thin layer of enchilada sauce, then cover with tortillas in an even layer overlapping slightly if needed.  Add 1/2 the meat mixture.  Spoon 1/4 cup sauce over meat, and top with 1/3 of the cheese.  Repeat layers.  Place final layer of tortillas over the top and drizzle with the last of the sauce.  With a spoon spread the sauce evenly over the top, and sprinkle with the last 1/3 of the cheese.  Cover pan tightly with foil and bake (Place on a cookie sheet to avoid any bubble overs) for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown, remove from oven.  Serve with sour cream and top with green onions.    Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment