Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Banana muffins

I always seem to have overripe bananas that need using up. It seems like when I buy less bananas we go thru them fast and then I never have any.  When I buy more, they just seem to sit there and get overripe & brown.  Every time I freeze them for smoothies they end up getting freezer burned before I use them up.  I can't seem to win for losing... I have been wanting banana muffins so now is the time. 


I topped mine with mini chocolate chips, which unfortunately makes it so you can't turn them upside down to get them out of the pan when they are done.  You have to carefully remove them from the pan ( I placed mine on a cookie sheet to cool then stored in baggies, for easy grab & go for lunches etc.).


You can add  nuts, raisins, chocolate chips or whatever you like to the batter and not top them.  I even thought an oatmeal streusel topping would be good too. If you add ingredients to the batter add at the end (and mix 1-2 t flour into the nuts, chocolate chips etc so they don't sink to the bottom of the batter when cooking)


My oven runs a little hot, so adjust your baking times as needed.  As always use what you like, and enjoy.






Banana muffins


2 cups flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 t baking soda
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2-3/4 cup mini chocolate chips(if using)
3 mashed bananas




Preheat oven to 350.  Spray muffin tins (or use paper baking cups).
In large bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, regular & brown sugar, & cinnamon whisking gently until combined. Add butter, egg, milk, vanilla, and bananas mixing well. Add to dry ingredients gently mixing just until batter comes together.  Divide mixture evenly into 12 muffin cups.  Top with chocolate chips.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Immediately remove from muffin tins, and place on cookie sheet to cool.   Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment