Thursday, July 28, 2016

Oven fajitas

It is the middle of summer and boy is it hot outside...ugh   I do not do well when the temp is over 90 degrees, & just last week in Michigan it was 98 degrees.  I don't want to do anything except sit in the air conditioning and relaxing.. even going to the grocery store or doing anything for that matter just takes it out of you. 


I want quick and easy dinners.  Like this, I know what your saying it's hot why turn your oven on.  I have air conditioning, and I usually make a big batch of something and we eat it for a couple of days.  Leftovers on hot days, are a lifesaver, so make an extra casserole and throw it in the freezer for days like this.  I have tried experimenting and making this dish in the crockpot and did not like the results.  Everything was a big mushy mess.  Peppers and onions, were soggy, and the chicken was mushy.  Not my idea of a good dinner.  So made it this way and winner, winner... I use boneless chicken breast, but you can use boneless chicken thighs, or a small pork tenderloin, or whatever meat you like.  I was thinking of next time skipping the meat, and adding zucchini and summer squash and making veggie fajitas.. I will let you all know how that turns out:)


To make it even easier, the produce section at your supermarket has cut up fajita kits (peppers and onions cut up), or you can cut up your own.  When I do cut my own, I use red, yellow, orange & green) and a big red onion.


Use whatever condiments you want, I use lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and shredded cheese.  My husband adds sliced jalapenos, and hot sauce.


Oven fajitas


1 package of boneless chicken breast ( about 1 1/2-2 lbs)
One package of cut up onion, peppers (Mine had red, & green)
1 package of taco seasoning mix
*seasonings of your choice, (I used, cumin, garlic and onion powder, salt  & pepper)
olive oil
tortillas (heated for a couple of seconds in the microwave to soften)
lime juice
condiments of your choice






Preheat oven to 375.  Place foil down on the pan.  If your chicken breast are very large, cut in half the long way.  Place the chicken breast on one side of the pan, and the veggies on the other.  Drizzle olive oil on the chicken and vegetables (keeping separate) mix each side well coating with oil.  For the veggie side, sprinkle with salt,  pepper and garlic and onion powder.  For the chicken side, sprinkle both sides with taco seasoning, cumin, salt & pepper.




Cook for around 30 minutes, stirring veggies half way thru, and turning the chicken too.  Cook until veggies and the chicken are done.  Remove from oven.  On the pan thinly slice the chicken against the grain, and mix getting any seasoning and additional juices from the pan.  Drizzle meat with lime juice. 


Serve the tortillas with a little chicken, vegetables and condiments of your choice.  Enjoy.  (I sprinkle mine with a little extra lime juice at the table to brighten up the flavors). 













No comments:

Post a Comment