Sunday, March 26, 2017

Chicken spinach tortellini soup

Sorry I have been missing in action and haven't blogged in a while.  Started a new job, which is always difficult.  Between that and us being sick on and off since the holiday season.. life has sure been crazy, but on a positive note lets talk this soup :)


I love soup!!! I could eat it everyday and not tire of it.  I also love getting extra veggies in whenever I can too.  This soup is so versatile, you could add frozen mixed veggies, extra spinach or whatever you like. I used frozen soup veggies, (mine were chopped red & green pepper, carrots and onion) and I added a little fresh chopped onion too.  I added fresh spinach ( I usually have that in the fridge to quick add to sandwiches, or to make a quick frittata or salad.  I get mine in the bagged lettuce section in the produce department.  Kale would make a good substitute as well.  I used boxed chicken stock, but homemade would be great too, you could also use vegetable stock .  As always use what you have and what you like. 


I used fresh tortellini that I got in the fresh section of the deli department near the fresh pastas.  I used a small package, but you could easily double this and use the family size package too.  I used chicken filled tortellini but any flavor would work, think cheese, or ricotta, mushroom etc.  I topped mine with a sprinkling of freshly grated parmesans cheese and cracked black pepper (also a drizzle of good olive oil would be really good)& I also served this with crusty bread and butter..  Whatever you use, make this soon and Enjoy.






Chicken spinach tortellini soup


1/2 lb raw chicken tenders
2 boxes chicken broth
1/2 cup frozen soup veggies
1 small package chicken filled tortellini
1/2 onion finely chopped
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
**Seasonings of your choice I used celery flakes, seasoned salt & pepper, parsley flakes.


For serving:
freshly grated parmesan
cracked black pepper
Crusty bread & butter






In large pot add broth, raw chicken, frozen soup veggies and seasonings, bring to boil and turn heat down and simmer until chicken is done and tender.  Remove chicken to a plate, and shred with 2 forks.  Turn heat up, add chicken, tortellini and spinach gently simmering (you don't want to simmer too rapidly because the tortellini will break apart), stir gently often not too hard , cause again the tortellini will break, but  simmer following tortellini package directions ( I under cooked mine about 1-2 minutes because upon standing they will continue to cook in the hot broth, and you don't want mushy tortellini.  Serve in big bowls with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and cracked pepper.  Serve with crusty bread & butter.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment