Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chicken with Grandma B's homemade noodles

Can I just say that I love homemade noodles....Those storebought cardboard yuckky ones...not so much but homemade melt in your mouth noodles dripping with some kind of homemade broth (soup) on them.... awesome.

My Grandma B always made homemade noodles.... she is such an awesome cook (I will be sharing some of her recipes like cinnamon rolls, and coffee cake, noodles, I could go on and on... ) she used beef short ribs flavored simply with a little onion, salt & pepper then lots and lots of wide homemade rolled out noodles.... They are absolutely awesome.  I took her recipe and put my own little spin on it.  I used this time chicken (but have used short ribs and they are equally delicious) and flavored the cooking broth with carrots, onion & celery along with seasonings.... My husband ate 2 helpings and loved them, and I am so glad that I have extra left to eat on this week .  I used the bones of chicken breasts that I removed the breast meat for (I made fajitas), I left around 1/3 of the meat on them.  You can use whatever pieces of chicken that you like.  Try these they sound like alot of work, but couldn't be any easier....enjoy

Chicken & Homemade noodles

Chicken carcass (I used the the bones of 3 very large chicken breasts I usually leave about a 1/3 of the meat on when removing the breast meat)
1/2 large onion, chopped
2-3 stalks of celery, cleaned and chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped (can use baby or regular carrots 2-3 depending on size)
6-8 cups of water
2 cans of chicken stock
seasonings of your choice, I used 1 bay leaf, seasoned salt & pepper, parsley flakes, splash of worchester sauce, no salt herb seasoning blend)

Noodles:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (additional flour for rolling out and kneading dough)
pinch of kosher salt,
1 egg
2 T. olive oil
1/2 c warm water
1/2 tsp baking powder


In large soup pot, place all of ingredients (except noodle ingredients) and bring to boil, turning heat down & simmering for around 2-3 hours until meat is done and soup broth is reduced by about 1/3.  Let mixture cool.  When cool. remove chicken bones and remove meat from them and put meat back into the pot.  Taste mixture and adjust seasonings adding more if necessary to make really flavorful broth.  Turn up heat bring broth back up to full boil.

In bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt whisking to incorporate. Mix in egg, olive oil & water until mixture forms a ball in bowl ,might have to add a couple of more T. of water until mixture forms ball.  Turn out onto floured surface.  Knead slightly until dough comes together.  Roll out to 1/4 " thickness. With pizza cutter (or knife) cut into large square noodle shapes.  With large spatula lift noodle off of floured surface shaking off additional flour, and drop gently into boiling stock one at a time stirring well with each addtion of noodle.  Bring back to a boil and boil about 2-3 minutes or until noodles are floating to top.  Check for doneness by tasting noodle (it will hold it's shape, be firm to the tooth and not have a raw flour taste.  Turn off heat.  Ladle the noodles & broth into serving bowls & enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment