Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mexican galoush & Black Bean & Corn Salsa

This recipe is the result of an attempt to try something new and it didn't turn out exactly as planned so I re-invented it.  I was attempting to make some Mexican minstrone soup, but added way too much pasta to the dish, and it sucked up all of the broth that was in the soup when it was cooking, birthing "galoush".  My husband says after I told him I ran out of broth, it looks like galoush... my "lightbulb" moment.. ok now we are having Mexican galoush... LOL  Sometimes the best things come out of "mistakes" in the kitchen... I would love to hear of your "mistakes"... maybe I can find some new recipes ...
This is pretty quick cooking and you can use whatever veggies you have on hand.. frozen, canned whatever.. use what you have.. the same with the pasta, use whatever shape you have in the cupboard...

The Black Bean & Corn Salsa is good with just tortilla chips, or to put in recipes or to heat up and eat inside tortillas (see my previous blog for my tortilla recipe).  I sometimes heat it up put it in a tortilla and sprinkle with cheese and microwave until the cheese is melted...yummm
Enjoy....

Mexican Galoush

1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, diced small
1 can diced tomatoes
6 cups water
2-3 tsp. chicken bouillon granuales, or 2-3 chicken bouillon cubes
2 T. brown sugar
2T. red wine (optional)
1 T. Worchester sauce
1 can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups black bean salsa mix (recipe follows or you can use store bought, use whatever or just use salsa)
1/2 box pasta, ( I used digitallini)
seasonings of your choice ( I used chili powder, paprika, garlic & onion powder, cumin, seasoned salt & pepper, red pepper flakes, celery seed)
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
Toppings of your choice ( I used sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese & crushed tortilla chips/Doritos/Fritos (use your choice of chips whatever is your favorite) the crunch is nice and adds flavor


In large pot place onion & ground beef cooking until crumbled and browned and no longer pink. Deglaze pan with red wine  Add rest of the ingredients (EXCEPT PASTA). Bring to rolling boil, add pasta stirring occasionally until all of the liquid is absorbed and pasta is tender.  Serve with sour cream, and crushed chips of your choice and cheese.


Black Bean & Corn Salsa
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can corn, rinsed & drained
1 small bunch of green onions thinly sliced
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 lime (or lemon) juiced
1 cup salsa
seasonings of your choice ( I seasoned salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, chili powder & paprika)
1 T. worchester sauce
1 T. brown sugar
Tortilla Chips
drizzle of olive oil

Mix all ingredients mixing well.  Serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

  1. These recipes sound wonderful. Mistakes are definitely good. I see there someone else as honest as me when it comes to goofs...way to go Joelle!!
    I love black beans, and I going to have to try the black bean and corn salsa.

    ReplyDelete