Thursday, January 27, 2011

Squash soup

For one of our holiday get togethers the menu was potluck featuring soup & sandwiches.  There were many delicious soups to choose from and one of them was squash soup, which I absolutely love.  I thought after the holidays are done I am going to make it my goal to try to make a new soup at least once a week using vegetables (trying to get more veggies into me and my family :)  so searched all over online looking for soup recipes.  I saw several squash soup recipes but none that I wanted to completely commit too, so I decided to make my own.  This is my version and it turned out yummy and delicious.
 Enjoy


Squash Soup

1 butternut squash
4 T. butter
1/2 cup (diced celery, carrots & onion) or you can use the frozen ones from the freezer section (Kroger carries it called mirepoix blend)
1 box (4 cups) Chicken Stock
1 cup water
8 oz. Cream cheese ( I use 1/3 reduced fat), bring to room temperature
1/2 tsp. Worchester sauce
salt & pepper to taste
seasonings of your choice ( I used just a sprinkling of seasoned salt, onion & garlic powder, sprinkle of paprika & a pinch of cayenne pepper)
Optional for serving, Bread or crackers of your choice

Rinse squash under running water removing any dirt and grit.  With a sharp knife poke 3 holes into squash and place on a microwave safe plate, microwave about 13-15 minutes or until about halfway tender.  Let cool completely.  When cooled cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.  Peel and cut squash into chunks.  In large stockpot melt butter and add celery, carrots & onion.  Saute for about 5 minutes.  Add squash chunks and salt & pepper to taste.  Add water & chicken stock (This mixture should  cover vegetables completely.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Turn heat down to medium when boiling, and simmer for about 25 minutes or until veggies are tender.  Add seasonings, cream cheese & Worchester sauce to veggies.  With an immersion ( stick blender) blend soup until smooth & creamy.  (Can also do this in batches in a blender or food processor, but the stick blender is much easier).  Taste soup and adjust salt & pepper if needed.  Enjoy



*note can use bouillon cubes or granualles and water instead of chicken stock.  Be careful cause these things are salty so you probably can omit the salt completely if you use these methods). 

2 comments:

  1. Squash soup!! I have not gotten up enough courage to try it. I love squash, but in a soup??? Can you describe how it tastes Joelle? Maybe that would help me out. Looking over your ingredients though, it looks like it would be very tasty. I may have to break down and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not like eating cooked squash but creamy with a slighty squashy consistency?? I know that probably doesn't make sense but it is hard to explain. You know sometimes what I do, I make a quarter of a recipe or half the recipe in case I don't like it?? Just what I do cause I don't like wasting ingredients or throwing out food...also do you know where I can find the instructions on how to put the blogs you are following on your own blog? I would love to put yours and the ones that I am following... I see that you have done that??? Also am thinking of putting pics on mine but don't know how to do that either??? Can you help

    ReplyDelete