Thursday, March 31, 2011

Porcupine Meatballs

These bring back old memories... I remember making these in Jr High school in my Home Ec class.... Mrs. Kenworthy's class.  I haven't had these in absolute years and came across an old recipe which I tweaked and made my own.... These are basically meatballs with uncooked rice in them, that cooks while it bakes and has rice sticking out of the meatballs like little porcupine quills.. LOL 
You can add diced vegetables (celery, peppers, carrots etc to the sauce mixture or add a can of petite diced tomatoes to the sauce mixture..
I served these over mashed potatoes...


Porcupine Meatballs

3/4 lb. ground sirloin
1/2 pkg. dried onion soup mix (such as Lipton)
1/2 cup uncooked, raw rice (NOT instant)
2 cans tomato soup
1 can beef stock
1/2 soup can of water
seasonings of your choice ( I used just a little seasoned salt, a few shakes of celery seed, pepper and a pinch of sugar)


In oven safe dish, whisk together the tomato soup, beef stock & water (SAVE 5 Tbls. of mixture and add to meat mixture).  In bowl place, meat, onion soup mix, raw rice, and 5 Tbls, of tomato mixture and a little cracked pepper, mix with hands well and shape into meatballs placing raw meatballs on top of tomato sauce turning to coat each one.  Continue until all meatballs are made and placed in sauce.  Cover pan with lid or aluminum foil and cook at 350 for 1 hour .  Uncover turn meatballs over in sauce, and bake uncovered for 15-30 minutes until sauce is a little thickened and meatballs are completely cooked checking to make sure rice is done.  Serve over mashed potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy, and something that I might try on my family. I think my daughter will do flips for these. She is a meatball kind of girl especially when it comes to spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete