Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sweet & Spicy Glazed Ham

I have been wanting to cook a big ham, not just a ham steak which I usually do cause it is fast and quick to get on the table.  I bought a Smithfield ham 1/2 one.  I love sweet, sticky and spicy glazes for ham.  It makes the average into something yummy :)  you can adjust this to suit your tastes, you can add a little molasses or honey to the glaze use what you like.  Also, the ham takes about 20 minutes per pound to cook at 350 degrees.  Score the ham (which means cut slices about 1" in both ways into the top of the ham so that the glaze can drip in and carmelize ...... mmmm makes me want ham right now :)  LOL
I serve this with baked sweet potatoes and vegetables....

Sweet & Spicy Glazed Ham

1/2 Ham
1/3 cup orange marmelade
1/3 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup spicy mustard
1 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced



In large roasting pan place ham.  Score the top of the ham.  Pour in the water around the ham, cover entire pan with heavy duty foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours ( my ham was 6 lbs so adjust your time accordingly see about note about how long to cook it, leaving about 45 minutes before it is done to add the glaze). Remove all but about 1/4 inch of water in pan. In bowl mix well,  marmelade, preserves, mustard, brown sugar and garlic.  Spoon glaze over entire ham, using a brush getting the marinade all over ham and into the score marks on top of the ham.  Bake for about 45 minutes until done, spooning the liquid from bottom of about every 20 minutes.  Remove pan from oven and spoon liquid over ham, slice and serve. 

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on the sticky glaze. Ham is one of my favorite foods. HUMMMMM....Easter is coming up. I am saving this one. Thanks Joelle.

    ReplyDelete