Friday, September 7, 2012

Butterfinger cake

Today is my 46th birthday :)  Happy birthday to me...LOL  anyway I just couldn't decide what kind of cake that I wanted.  So many cakes out there.. did I want a store bought one ( NO) did I want an ice cream cake (maybe)... chocolate, yellow, vanilla, pistachio... & so on..so many choices.... Then it hit me... Butterfinger cake... I love this and I haven't had it in a long time....

I like it made with yellow cake, but it can also be made with chocolate cake too...you can also use a boxed cake mix to save yourself some time...  Some people just put caramel over the top, or sweetened condensed milk over the top instead of caramel.. but I like them mixed together...and I love salted caramel... that is my absolute favorite way to have caramel.. the sweet & salty kinda thing going on... love love love it... but you can just buy caramel ice cream topping & mix a can of sweetened condensed milk with it and it will be just fine.  Also I use cool whip to top the cake... whipped cream breaks down on this cake...and turns into a watery mess...I also chop 4-5 butterfinger candy bars to put over the top... I have seen this cake with a very light sprinkling of candy bars over the top like about 1or 2 candy bars worth, but I like lots of butterfingers on it....
I use the Betty Crocker starlight yellow cake mix (it's my favorite yellow cake recipe cause you literally dump everything all at once in a mixing bowl and mix it for 2-3 minutes with an electric mixer..much better than a mix cause you know what's in it..no things you can't pronounce ) if you have a good one..use that...whatever you use...you will get rave reviews....Store any leftovers in the fridge....Enjoy



Butterfinger cake



 Yellow cake mix from Betty Crocker cookbook )recipe follows
1 recipe salted carmel (recipe follows)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 container of Cool whip, unthawed 8 oz
4-5 full size Butterfinger candy bars, chopped fine


Starlight yellow cake

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup butter,softened
1 t vanilla
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9X13 inch pan with non-stick spray. Dump all ingredients into a mixing bowl and with electric mixer beat mixture for 2-3 minutes scraping bowl down frequently. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven & check the cake for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the cake and it is done with it  comes out clean.  Cool cake.

While cake is baking make salted caramel,

Salted caramel sauce

1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 t kosher salt
1 can sweetened condensed milk

In saucepan over medium heat melt butter, add brown sugar & salt.  Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly until mixture is to a rapid boil, boiling for about 2 minutes until mixture thickens up.  Turn off heat and add condensed milk stirring to combine.  Let cool completely. 


With the end of a wooden spoon or tip of a knife poke hole over the top of the cake.  Spoon the caramel sauce over the cake.  Place in fridge for 20 minutes.  Frost cake with cool whip and sprinkle with Butterfinger candy bars.  Place cake back into the fridge for around 30 minutes.  Take it out cut it into squares & enjoy.  Wrap any leftovers and place in fridge for storage... Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment