Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cheddar corn bread

I love cornbread... all different kinds..plain, cheddar, with corn added both regular canned or frozen & cream style... it doesn't matter...it's just so yummy.. I prefer yellow cornmeal but use what you like... you can also add a finely diced jalapeno pepper to this recipe for a little extra spice. making sure you remove the seeds, stem & membranes...I know your going to look at this recipe and say mayo in cornbread.... I am telling you it makes all the difference.  I learned this trick a long time ago and I never have dry old cornbread since then... both mayo or Miracle whip work...that's most peoples complaint about cornbread is it's too dry...not with mayo added :)  you can't taste it btw.... I also like my cornbread a little on the sweet side so I add a little sugar to it...If you don't like yours sweet skip the added sugar... Also if you have a little bacon grease in the fridge needing to be used up, you can grease your pan with that...the added bacon fat makes this cornbread oh so yummy.... I added a mixture of co-jack & cheddar cheese...as always use what you have and like.. I serve this with chili, or soups, with beans & rice...all different things...

**NOTE Also sometimes I sprinkle over the top of the bread batter before baking another 1/2 cup of shredded cheese totally optional but extra yummy....Enjoy


Cheddar Cornbread


1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2-3 T mayo/miracle whip
2 t baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 T oil
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup frozen corn (I use it straight from the freezer)
1 cup shredded cheese (I use co-jack & cheddar cheese)+ 1/2 cup for topping (optional * see note)


Preheat oven to 400.  Spray a 13x9 baking sheet with cooking spray (or can use bacon grease :) Add everything to a large bowl and stir well until combined.  Pour into prepared pan and spread out to a smooth layer (if using the additional cheese on top add that now.  Bake for around 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into pan comes out clean.  Cut into squares and serve...


No comments:

Post a Comment