Friday, September 28, 2012

"Layered" stuffed cabbage

I so love stuffed cabbage rolls... you know the ones filled with yummy meat, rice, tomatoes and seasonings all rolled inside a cabbage leaf, then with a tomato sauce poured over the top and baked... can you say heavenly :)  but it is soooo much work.. and I swear I always end up burning my fingers peeling the cabbage leaves away cause you have to pour boiling water on them and let them soak to make them pliable enough to roll up... forget about it.. I love to cook but just end up getting aggreviated doing them...so maybe I need to take a class on learning how to do them... LOL or talk to someone's grandma to teach me.... anyway this is a much easier version that tastes the same but is lots less work.. a double win in my book... These also can cook on the stovetop or can cook in the crockpot (which I usually do unless I am in a hurry) cause it is nice to dump the stuff in and go... I will include both versions.  I serve these over cooked white rice (can be regular or instant) and buttered bread... I also say to cut the cabbage thin, I am not meaning coleslaw thin, but actual slices...and you have to add the pinch of red pepper flakes and the sprinkle of cinnamon.. it is what makes the dish :)   Enjoy


Layered Stuffed Cabbage

1 lb ground beef
1-2 onions, small diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small head cabbage halved, cored and sliced in thin slices
2 cans tomato soup
2 cans diced tomatoes (I use the ones with green peppers,celery & onions added)
1 can beef broth
1/2 cup water
1 t worchester sauce
1 T sugar
2 T red wine
1/4 t hot pepper sauce (I use Franks Red hot) optional
seasonings of your choice ( I use a sprinkle of cinnamon, pinch of red pepper flakes, 1/4 t of celery salt,1/4 t seasoned salt & pepper, dried parsley flakes)


White rice (cooked according to package directions) I add a little salt, pepper and a pat of butter when it is done stirring to mix.
Bread & butter optional


Crockpot method:

In skillet brown ground beef, onions and salt & pepper until meat is done & no longer pink breaking up meat.  Add garlic and saute a few minutes until fragrant.  Pour meat mixture into crockpot.  Add soup, tomatoes, beef broth water, worchester sauce, sugar, wine, hot sauce and seasonings.  Turn crockpot on high and cook for a couple of hours until mixture is hot.  Place cabbage over the top of the meat mixture stirring slightly to coat the cabbage with the tomato mixture.  Cook on high for 5-6 more hours or until cabbage is done.  Check seasonings.  Serve in bowls over scoops of white rice.  Serve with bread and butter.. Enjoy


Stove top method
In large pot brown over medium high heat add ground beef, onions and salt & pepper until meat is done & no longer pink breaking up meat.  Add garlic and saute a few minutes until fragrant. Add soup, tomatoes, beef broth water, worchester sauce, sugar, wine, hot sauce and seasonings. Bring to a simmer cover and turn down simmering for around 20 minutes.  Add cabbage and stir to combine.  Simmer on medium low heat for 1-2 hours checking liquid adding a little more water if necessary.  When cabbage is soft it is done. Check seasonings.  Serve over scoops of white rice. Serve with bread & butter... Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment