Saturday, November 17, 2012

Chocolate Breakfast Bread Pudding casserole

I love breakfast casseroles... things you can just throw together and bake in the oven... no muss no fuss... I always make a couple for Christmas morning...usually a savory & a sweet one... the savory one has meat, veggies ( bell peppers, mushrooms, onions etc.) and lots of cheese, and the savory one has cinnamon sugar custardy goodness...yum.. makes me hungry just thinking about them... I usually assemble them the night before cover them with foil place in the fridge and let them soak overnight.  It usually takes a little extra time to cook cause they are cold, but with all that present unwrapping on Christmas morning nobody seems to notice.

 I also make the same casserole and let it soak only for a couple of minutes before baking in the oven and it is just as easy.  I decided when discovering the sausage that I had cooked for the savory breakfast casserole had been eaten (imagine that with 3 boys in the house:)  LOL, that I needed a plan B for this mornings breakfast.  I was going to do the cinnamon custardy one but thought I am in the mood for chocolate... which btw.. I am always in the mood for... :) so outta necessity and cravings this casserole was born... my family said this was the best breakfast on the planet..so I am thinking it turned out good... shew :)  Make this for your family and enjoy :)


Chocolate Breakfast Bread Pudding Casserole


2/3 of a loaf of sliced bread torn into small pieces
8 eggs
1 cup mini chocolate chips
2/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup milk + 1 more cup milk divided
3 T cocoa powder
Maple syrup & Powdered sugar (optional)for serving

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease a baking dish (I used a white oval Pyrex dish).  Place 1/2 the bread in the bottom of the casserole dish.  Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the bread.  Cover the chips with the other 1/2 of the bread mixture.  In a large bowl or Pyrex measuring cup add the eggs, cocoa powder,pinch of salt, sugar, cinnamon and the 2/3 cup of milk.  Beat mixture with a fork mixing very well.   Pour mixture evenly over bread in pan.  Pour slowly the remaining milk over the mixture.  With your hands press the bread down soaking it into the chocolate custard mixture making sure all the bread is soaked.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for an additional 15-30 minutes, start checking the casserole at 45 minutes.  It should be puffed up and the center set being careful not to burn it.  I usually take it out after about 50-55 minutes.  Serve with maple syrup and or powdered sugar.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment