Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Sugar Cookie bars

I have seen a sugar cookie bar recipe floating around online for quite some time and I have been wanting to try it... until I read the reviews... they were not very good...not only did the reviewers say that the cookie bars not taste so good they didn't cook up correctly..the edges were overdone the middle of the cookie bars were raw..so needless to say I didn't use the recipe that I saw online.. thank goodness for online reviews... so I modified a basic sugar cookie recipe and kept my fingers crossed to see it if would turn out okay.. .and this one did ..yeah..not always the case but worked out... you can make your own buttercream icing or use a canned one... or just skip the icing altogether..but why would you... delicious... but my mom doesn't like her sugar cookies iced so I am thinking if I make these for her I would just sprinkle the raw dough with coarse sugar crystals (sprinkles) before baking the bars.  It would make it pretty and taste good too... however you make these cookies.... Enjoy



Sugar Cookie Bars

1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
8 oz softened cream cheese, I used the spreadable kind
1 t vanilla
1/2 t almond extract
3 cups flour
1 1/4 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt


Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl with electric mixer, mix together the butter, cream cheese & shortening.  Add the eggs, sour cream, sugar, vanilla & almond extract, mix well until combined and smooth.  In small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda & salt.  Add slowly in 1/3's mixing with mixer after each addition.  Spray a 1/2 sheet pan with nonstick spray. Place dough onto sprayed pan and with a rubber spatula spread cookie mixture to an even layer.  Bake for 22-25 minutes. Start checking the cookies at 22 minutes, mine were puffed and the middle was just slightly underdone, so I cooked for a few more minutes and they ended up a light golden brown and the edges were golden and pulled away from the pan.  Let cool completely.  Frost with your favorite frosting. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment