Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Layered Mexican tortilla casserole

This was a creation of mine that kinda came about after wanting something mexican, looking around my cupboards and fridge and then taking what I had and creating something different and keeping my fingers crossed that it turned out decent, so I didn't have to throw the entire thing away (ask me how I know this...LOL). Anyways...  I have heard about layered mexican casseroles before but had never made them or had them.  So this is my take on it.  Easy, breezy..YUMMY... my stepson (who hates everything ate 2 helpings).  I serve this with sour cream on the side, and I crush up tortilla chips to sprinkle on each serving to give it a little extra something on top.  Also, I like black olives sprinkled over the top too..but it is optional and I served them on the side, so those that like them can take them and those that don't can just skip them all together.  Enjoy
**NOTE***I used leftover cooked pork loin shredded, in my casserole (cause that's what I had on hand) but you can add crumbled cooked ground beef, just brown it in with the onion and drain off any fat. 


Layered Mexican tortilla casserole

1 onion, small diced
2 cups cooked pork loin, shredded (Or ground beef see note if using ground beef)
1 t olive oil
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/4 cups water
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup (I used Campbell's)
1 packet of dry enchilada seasoning mix
1 small package of frozen corn, thawed
1 can chili beans
splash of white wine, worchester sauce
1/4 cup salsa
2 T. brown sugar
2 cups mild cheddar cheese
1 pkg. 8 count torillas, cut into approx. 2" pieces
1/4 tsp each (cumin, paprika, onion & garlic powder)
1 clove garlic minced

Optional items:
Sour cream
sliced black olives
Crushed tortilla chips


Preheat oven to 400.  Spray a 9x9 baking dish with nonstick spray.
In large skillet add olive oil, add onion season with salt & pepper.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.  Add pork loin and cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is softened, add garlic and stir to cook garlic.  Add worhcester sauce, cheddar cheese soup, wine, tomato sauce, water, enchilada seasoning packet,corn, brown sugar,chili beans, salsa and seasonings.  Mix well and combine until bubbly and heated completely through. Spoon enough sauce to cover the bottom of the baking dish.  Layer tortilla pieces over sauce, layer more sauce mixture, sprinkle with cheese, and continue (I did 3 layers) ending with sauce and sprinkle cheese over the top.  Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes, uncover and bake another 5-10 minutes until mixture is bubbly and cheese is melted.  Remove from oven .  Serve with sour cream on the side,black olives and crushed tortilla chips on each serving. Enjoy


1 comment:

  1. This sounds totally amazing! This is going on my "to try" list.

    ReplyDelete