Monday, March 18, 2013

Corned beef hash

I love corned beef hash... But not any old kind will do.  and say NO to the canned kind...that is just yuck!!!
that makes me shudder just thinking about it...yikes that stuff is really bad so just avoid it :)
I love corned beef, & cabbage...yum.. you know corned beef brisket cooked slowly with potatoes, onions, carrots and cabbage. It is so yummy (my family doesn't like it but that's another blog post :)  I made it for dinner on St. Patrick's day and had lots left, which makes yummy Reuben sandwiches, but my favorite is corned beef hash.  I serve the hash with over easy eggs, and rye toast.  So delicious.  I had this in a diner many years ago because I had never had it and wanted to try it, and it was wonderful.  I don't like this made with corned beef lunch meat.  Usually corned beef lunch meat is chopped & pressed and paper thin, so when you are making the hash it over cooks and becomes like little bits of shoe leather hard & crunchy..not appealing.  So I usually use the corned beef brisket leftovers, just my personal taste.  Use what you have and like as always.  Enjoy

Corned beef hash

2 cups leftover corned beef brisket, chopped into small chunks
1/2 small green pepper, small diced
1 small onion, diced

2 cups leftover potatoes, cut into small chunks
 1-2 T oil (divided)
seasonings of your choice (I used garlic & onion powder, salt & pepper)
Eggs over easy(optional)
Rye toast (optional)

In large skillet place one tablespoonful of oil heat over medium high heat.  Add onion & green pepper, sprinkle with salt & pepper.  Cook for 2-3 minutes then add potatoes and corned beef, sprinkle mixture with garlic & onion powder, a little more salt & pepper.  Add oil if mixture is getting too dry.  Continue cooking until mixture is browned and onion & green pepper are done.  Serve with eggs over easy, and rye toast.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment