Saturday, November 25, 2017

Homemade mac & cheese















I learned this recipe from my mom..  It is so good.. and gets rave reviews every time I make it.  Whenever I take it somewhere the dish comes home empty.  Always so good.


 I added a little extra seasonings as always, and I use whatever cheese I have. Usually a mixture of Colby jack, cheddar, & parmesan, but I usually clean out the cheese drawer and put bits of this and that in there. 


I also undercook the pasta by one minute less than the directions call for.  I always salt the water too.  Gives the pasta more flavor.


Like always use what you have and what you like.  Muenster, mozzarella, swiss all good too.  For the milk, I always start with 2 cans of evaporated milk & take the gallon and pour it just till it almost reaches the top of the macaroni.  I add the cans of milk and all of the cheese & eggs and mix it up well, then add the milk.  I noticed the cheese doesn't all float to the top when I do it that way.  You can add cubed ham, or cooked bacon to this as well if you want to add additional flavor.  Anyway you make it, make this today.. and enjoy




Box of elbow macaroni, cooked about 1 minute under done, following package directions
3 packages (8oz) shredded cheese ( I use a mixture of Colby jack & cheddar and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese2 cans evaporated milk
4 eggs beaten
milk
Butter (to put little pats on the top)
*seasonings of your choice (I use seasoned salt & pepper, garlic & onion powder)




Grease a large baking dish.  Cook the macaroni and drain.  In the baking dish place macaroni adding the evaporated milk.  Stir well.  Sprinkle the seasonings in, add eggs and cheese mix well.  Slowly pour the milk in, till its barely to the top of the macaroni. :Top with the pats of butter. Bake at 375 for about and hour and a half or until golden bubbly (we like the top of ours crispy and the center set) and the center of the casserole is set and bubbly. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderfully cheesey. And any recipe you can get from your mom is the B-E-S-T! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete