Thursday, November 11, 2010

Carne Asada

In my never ending quest to cook more "ethnic food" for my son Charlie, I attempted tonight to make my first ever Carne Asada... which if you don't know what that is... it is meat cooked until it is falling apart in a spicy sauce served with flour tortillas and various toppings of your choice kinda like a taco in a soft shell.
I am so glad that I ventured into unknown territory because they turned out absolutely wonderful....  Well Charlie ate 6 "tacos" and gave me the ultimate compliment...saying mom I like these so well we could have these once a month.  (That is another thing he says we eat the same stuff all the time... which as you all know I do cook a variety of stuff not Spaghetti on Monday, Mac & Cheese on Tues... etc)  anyway, they were tasty, delicious and very easy..  I served them with my homemade torillas and various toppings (sour cream, lettuce, tomato, avacado, cheese) .  Give them a try.... enjoy

Carne Asada

1/4 of a pork loin (about 2-3 pounds) left whole
1 onion, peeled cut in half lengthwise, and sliced into thin half moons, and seperated
2 cans enchilada sauce (I used one can mild, and the other can hot, your choice)
seasoning blend (I made a seasoning blend of seasoned salt, pepper,cumin, chili powder, paprika, )
2-3 Tbls sugar
To Serve: (toppings of your choice, lettuce, cheese, tomato, sour cream, lime juice)

Mix your seasoning blend.  Set aside. Pour half the enchilada sauce in crockpot, place  the onions ontop of the sauce.   In large Crockpot place pork loin.  Sprinkle seasonings liberally over pork loin, pour remaining sauce over meat.  Turn meat coating all with the sauce, sprinkle with remaining spice blend.  Cook on high for around 4 hours, turn meat over.  Turn heat down to low cook for around 2-3 hours until meat is falling apart.  Turn crockpot off.  Remove meat to platter and with 2 forks shred meat.  Spoon a little sauce over meat.  Serve with tortilla and toppings of your choice.  Assemble like a taco.  In bowls spoon a little sauce, sprinkle sauce with a little lime juice, dip tacos in sauce and eat.... Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment