Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Potato... Soup & Scalloped Potatoes & Ham

This post starts with the humble potato.... Yummy... 110 calories and no fat... some people don't eat "carbs" and think about the humble potato as "the enemy".. I am like give me a break... a little carbs won't kill ya... might even make you nicer... LOL  that is what I feel about Diet Coke & Chocolate... a little every day will sweeten my butt up & make me nicer!!! (so I've been told ....lol )

Went to my parents house and saw a recipe on the counter... My sister Danielle makes the best potato soup EVER!!! I saw her recipe on the counter with various other ingredients, potatoes, onions etc.  I asked my mom what she was doing and she said making potato soup.  I was very impressed ..go mom....:)  mom had back surgery a couple of months ago and in the last couple of years hasn't been well enough to cook but thank God she is doing better and has resumed some lost activities... Yeah momma...
So while my mom played with baby Jackson I made soup... I had lots of ham, potatoes, & veggies leftover so I thought why not do what Danielle & I did last time we got together to make this... make Scalloped potatoes & Ham too... cook once eat twice is what I say, one less mess to clean up later which is always a good thing...


Danielle's Potato Soup

3 1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, peeled & chopped
3/4 cup cubed ham
salt & pepper to taste
3 cups water
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp. garlic & onion powder
seasoned salt & pepper
chicken bouillon cubes, or chicken bouillon base or granules


In large soup pot, place onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, ham & water. Lightly salt & pepper.  Bring to boil over medium high heat. Add a couple of chicken bouillon cubes, or base.  Turn heat down and simmer on low for about 30-45 minutes until vegetables are tender. Turn heat down to low.   In another saucepan melt butter, whisk in flour.  Cook whisking for a couple of minutes to cook out the "raw flour" taste.  Whisk in milk, garlic & onion powder, and seasoned salt & pepper to taste.  Continue whisking occasionally until mixture is boiling and thickened.  Add thickened roux to soup, stirring well until blended.  Turn heat up and cook until boiling and mixture has come together and thickened.  Taste & adjust seasonings if necessary. 
**Note** Instead of the water you can use some chicken stock, or part chicken stock & water ( Omit chicken bouillon/base if doing this).


Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
3 lbs. potatoes peeled , cut in 1/2 lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 package cubed ham (or use leftover ham, cubed)
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
2-3 cups milk
1/4 tsp onion, garlic powder
seasoned salt . regular salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease large baking dish.  Place potatoes, onion, ham & celery into baking dish, mixing well.  Lightly salt & pepper mixture.  In saucepan, melt butter, whisking in flour until mixed.  Cook roux mixture for about 2-3 minutes .  Add milk, garlic & onion powder, seasoned salt & pepper.  Whisk occasionally until mixture is thickened.  Pour over potatoes mixture, mixing until all is mixed well. Place covered (with foil or baking dish lid) and cook for 1  hour.  TURN HEAT DOWN to 350, uncover and cook until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned and center of casserole is bubbling and hot. around 15-20 more minutes.  Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. One of the main things I miss about MI is the regularity with which you run into Potato Soup. My recipe is different (I will be posting one of my recipes in the second installment of Soup: The Trilogy) but it really doesnt matter. A good Potato Soup comes in so many forms, its like the Cooks Fingerprint.

    Oh, and I'm swiping the Scalloped Potato recipe. :-)

    Rob

    ReplyDelete