Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Taco soup with Homemade Tortillas....

Can I get a YUM!!! Homemade tortillas...  they are my latest craze.... I am absolutely addicted to them... I was never really crazy about tortillas... the ones that are store bought have this really weird taste to them.. I think it is the chemical preservatives in them to keep them "fresh".  All I can say is yuck... every once in a while I would have one with fajitas but again it was not often and I usually didn't finish it.  Ate all of the stuff on the inside of the tortilla and left the tortilla.  In my quest to make different dishes.. (remember from a previous post my son Charlie says mom we don't eat enough "ethnic foods") ... I was like okay... so onto teaching myself how to make more ethnic foods..... Tonight I am soaking the beans to make homemade mexican pinto beans for refried beans (to put on these tortillas with a little cheese) can't wait... yum.. :) It took a little while to learn to get the right torilla consistency with the dough... and how to roll them out and cook them, but it was sooooo worth it.  Hot steamy yummy tortillas, with a little butter, (and jam as my 5 year old likes them)... I will NEVER buy a package of tortillas again.... Try them... they are a little bit of work.. but absolutely delicious....
Taco Soup... a creation that is really easy and yummy with these tortillas... Kinda like tortilla soup ....


Taco Soup

1 lb. hamburger (ground chuck)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 stalk celery chopped
1 can beef stock
2 cans diced stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup water
splash of worchester sauce
2-3 Tbls sugar ( I use a combination of brown & white sugar)
1 packet Taco Seasoning mix
1 can each of corn, & black beans drained and rinsed
seasonings of your choice ( I use, chili powder, paprika, cumin, no salt seasoning blend, parsley flakes, red pepper flakes,seasoned salt)
Toppings of your choice (I use sour cream, shredded cheese, and green onions thinly sliced)
Tortillas, or tortilla chips broken up (optional)
Hot sauce,a few dashes(optional)

Brown meat, onion, celery salt & pepper until meat is done and veggies are tender, breaking meat up and draining if there is alot of fat.  Add rest of ingredients stirring well.  Bring to boil, and then turn down heat simmering for around 1/2 hour. Serve with toppings of your choice and tortillas (or tortilla chips).  Enjoy

Tortillas

2 cups flour (additonal needed for counter top and to dust rolling pin)
2 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup very warm water

In bowl whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, & salt.  Add remaining ingredients mixing until all comes together in a ball.  Knead dough on flour dusted counter for about 30 seconds until together smooth and elastic.    Place back in bowl.  Place a clean dish towel over bowl letting dough rest for 15-30 minutes.  On flour dusted surface grab about a ping pong ball size of dough (or golf ball size) roll in your hands to make a ball.  Place on floured surface pressing down with your hand to flatten dough.  Sprinkle round with a little flour.  Roll moving dough in circular pattern until very thin.  Cook ( I use a Presto griddle with electric thermostat, the kind for making pancakes) on 400 degrees, it seems to regulate the heat and cook the tortillas evenly.  You can also go online and find a tortilla pan or use any heavy frying pan completely dry and over medium high heat.  Watch these carefully, you will see bubbles almost immediately pick up and if they have golden brown speckles on them flip and cook other side until tortillas are a light golden brown .  Enjoy.  Delicious with butter.  Enjoy (Watch out these are addicting :)  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment