Monday, February 21, 2011

Chicken potpie & Triple Chocolate Cake

The last 2 days have been absolutely awful.... Yesterday I invite my in-laws over for dinner and about 25 minutes before they are set to arrive & have dinner the power goes completely out... which means the beautiful Roasting chicken I have baking in the oven will not be done, and the pear crumble sitting on the counter waiting to cook while we are having dinner will not be done either, so there goes dinner & dessert.. geesh... Thank god I have a gas stove so at least I can light the burners and cook on top of the stove.  Thank god also that I had a big package of pork chops in the fridge waiting for me to put them in the freezer (glad I hadn't gotten around to doing that yet :)   so when the power goes off it is getting dark, so I get the candles out, start cooking the pork chops on top of the stove, get the veggies cooking and then when I am done cooking the power comes back on....  yeah.... so I turn the oven back on, put the chicken back in and cook the pear crumble while we eat pork chops, mashed potatoes, veggies and salad.... Now I have an entire huge roasting chicken to find something to do with.... and the pear crumble btw turned out awesome... Think chicken potpie, and tomorrow I am experimenting with Chicken enchilada mexican pizza... if it turns out ok I will be posting the made up recipe if not...forget I even mentioned it :)
Then onto today last night we had a horrible snowstorm that dropped about a foot of snow in our area.  I went to pick up my son and got stuck in waist high snow.... thank goodness I got pulled out and made it home.... geesh tomorrow has got to be better.....

Anyway for the potpie, use whatever veggies you have on hand, frozen, canned leftovers from last night.... whatever...

For the dessert this is easy you mix everything right in the ungreased baking pan.  I got this recipe from the new Betty Crocker cookbook and put my little spin on it... you can use whatever chips you like, semi sweet, milk chocolate, peanut butter, white choc chips use what you have....

Chicken potpie

1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 T. worchester sauce
seasonings of your choice ( I used Mrs. Dash,  Montreal steak seasoning, garlic salt, dried onion,  pepper, parsley flakes, and a dash of
 poultry seasoning)
1 cup of frozen mixed veggies, thawed and drained, (or 1 can of mixed veggies, drained or can use leftover veggies)

2 cups Bisquick
1 cup milk
1 egg
sprinkle of parsley flakes

Preheat oven to 400
In sprayed baking dish place chicken, sour cream, milk, soup, worchester sauce, and seasonings mix well.  In bowl mix Bisquick, milk, egg & parsley flakes with fork beat well.  This should be the consistency pourable thick pancake batter.  Pour over chicken mixture spreading and covering the top.  Bake for about 35-40 minutes until light brown and bubbling around edges...


Triple Chocolate Snack Cake

1 2/3 cups flour
1 cup sugar (I used part brown & part white, but use what you have)
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup water
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips (or whatever variation you like)
Powdered sugar (optional)


Heat oven to 350.  Mix, flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, & salt with fork in ungreased 8 x 8 pan.  Stir in remaining ingredients (except powdered sugar & chocolate chips), mixing well with fork (make sure you get in the corners good the flour mixture tends to get stuck in the corners) mixture will be thick.  Spread batter evenly in pan.  Sprinkle with the chips.  Bake for around 35 minutes checking cake with toothpick and making sure it comes out clean.  Cool cake.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve...

1 comment:

  1. Both recipes sound awesome, but I am leaning toward that triple chocolate cake. The base of the cake sounds like my mom's recipe. I wonder if I could take her's up another notch and add chocolate syrup and chocolate chips. Great recipes Joelle. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete