Thursday, February 3, 2011

Coconut Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Coconut Frosting

Ok.. I know I am trying to diet but I had to make something yummy.. Came across these cupcakes in Barefoot Contessa cookbook  titled "Barefoot Contessa Cookbook"... They are by FAR the best cupcakes I have ever had in my life.... I did make some changes to the original recipe of hers... (putting my own spin on it) but the basis comes from her... check these out... I am thinking next time that I might add a little pineapple to both the cupcake batter & the icing... for Pineapple Coconut cupcakes... OMGosh YUM!!!!


1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 cup sour milk (you make it by adding a 1/2 tsp white vinegar to regular milk and let sit for 5 minutes)
3/4 cup coconut


Icing:
1 stick of butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened ( I use 1/3 less fat)
1/2 tsp each vanilla & almond extract
3-4 cups powdered sugar
coconut


Makes 12 cupcakes
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In bowl mix butter and sugar creaming for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time beating until mixed well.  Scape down sides of bowl add vanilla and almond extract mix until combined.  In another bowl whisk together flour, salt,baking powder and baking soda.  In 2 parts alternately mix the dry ingredients to the butter mixture along with the sour milk, ending with the milk, mix with mixer just until combined (don't overwork the flour).  Fold in the coconut.  Put cupcake liners in the cupcake baking pan.  Scoop out and fill the liners 3/4 of the way full.  Bake for around 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in comes out clean.  Let cool completely.

For icing:
In a bowl place butter, cream cheese ,vanilla and almond extract mix well until light and fluffy.  Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until mixed.  When all the powdered sugar is added (it should be light and creamy and fluffy).  Frost cupcakes with lots of icing sprinkle immediately with coconut.  Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. I love coconut, but since I am the only one in the house (once again) that does, I don't bake with it much. I may have to take a "just me" vacation and lose myself in these cupcakes. Everyone else can just stay away from my vacation spot (my kitchen).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree sister... these cupcakes are absolutely the best I have ever had.... wonderful wonderful wonderful!!!! take a little time to enjoy the view.... LOL eat these cupcakes!!!!

    ReplyDelete