Saturday, January 21, 2012

Burrito Bowls

I love anything Mexican/Cuban.... tacos, burritos, nachos.... cuban black beans, carne asada.... it is super cold here in Michigan and am needing some warming up from the inside :)  you can make this as hot or as mild as you like... you can add cayenne pepper, or jalapenos to the layers in the bowl.... I have little ones at home so I make things mild and put additional seasonings out (hot sauce, cayenne pepper, jalapeno's etc) on the table for spicing up :)  you can make these and put whatever toppings you like... green peppers, black olives, shredded lettuce.... different kinds of cheese....(I do a shortcut about once a week, I cut up several tomatoes, green peppers etc and place them in individual covered plastic containers in the fridge to put in salad etc for the week.  When I want a salad I don't have to cut up everything it can be quick and easy and I find that I am eating more vegetables that way...trying to eat healthier in 2012 :) and the cuban black beans are optional, you can add heated up refried beans, or pinto beans use what you have and like... I just love my shortcut cuban black beans:)  served over rice as a side dish...YUMMY... I crushed up a little cheese Doritos totally optional but I liked the crunch...these are simple and delicious :) 
These are kinda like a taco salad but different... I love the contrast of the hot meat, rice & beans and the cold toppings.... so good... this is a quick meal that you can have on the table in about 15-20 minutes... Enjoy

Burrito Bowls

Cooked Instant rice & ingredients to make(chicken stock, butter seasoned salt & pepper) *see recipe below
2 cups leftover shredded pork (I had leftover pork from BBQ pulled pork I saved some before adding the BBQ sauce
1 T oil
Cuban shortcut black beans *see below for recipe*
1/2 packet taco seasoning mix
2 T chicken stock
Toppings of your choice (I used shredded lettuce salad mix with carrots & cabbage in it, diced tomatoes,shredded co-jack cheese, olives, sliced green onions, sour cream & crushed cheese Doritos)


Shortcut Cuban Black Beans
1 can black beans
1/2 cup chicken stock
seasonings of your choice ( I used onion & garlic powder, cumin, p aprika, chili powder, pinch of lemon pepper, seasoned salt & cayenne pepper, dried onion & celery flakes, pinch of sugar)
2 T. white wine
1 t worchester sauce

Add all ingredients to a pan and heat until boiling over medium heat.  Simmer until sauce is reduced about 5 minutes, and liquid is thickened.

Instant Rice

2 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 1/2 cups Instant rice (I used white)
2 T. butter
seasoned salt & pepper

In large pan put chicken stock, 1 T of butter & seasonings.  Bring to boil.  Add rice and stir well.  Turn off heat and place a lid on pan.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  Add addtional T of butter to rice stir well. 

Crispy Seasoned Pork

In large skillet add 1 T. olive oil.  Add shredded pork and cook for around 3-4 minutes until meat is heated thru and becoming browned in pan stirring with tongs often so meat doesn't burn. Sprinkle dry taco seasoning over meat add 2 T. chicken stock stirring well (be careful the pan is hot and this will really bubble up).  Continue stirring until liquid is absorbed (1-2 minutes) and then let the meat crisp up in the pan.

In a bowl place a layer of rice, top with the black bean mixture, top with meat.  Then top with toppings of your choice ending with the crispy Cheese Doritos on top.  Place a dollop of sour cream if using.. and Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment