Thursday, January 5, 2012

Taco Salad

Who doesn't love Taco Salad.... Crisp crunchy lettuce, warm hot taco meat, & yummy toppings.... ohhhh the toppings... I could go on and on about the toppings,,, tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese, black olives, green onions...see I told ya... and last but not least crisp, crunchy cheesy Doritos....yup lots and lots of crushed ones on top....makes me want a taco salad now... but alas....had a big one the other day and someone asked me for the recipe... so here I am blogging about it and now wanting it sigh.... 
anyway back to the recipe... you can use whatever toppings you like.  I usually put out bowls with various diced toppings (ex: tomatoes, green onion, olives, avacado's,shredded cheese etc.) and I usually put out a big bag of Doritos so people can put as much or as little as they want.  I always use the cheese kind...use what you like...also a little hot sauce and sour cream won't hurt anyone either LOL..just my rationalizing the good stuff wink ;)  .....and also I usually put out creamy french dressing or ranch for people to drizzle over the top if they choose.  Sometimes I put out salsa & hot sauce as well instead of dressing to top off the salad for a little something different... you know mix it up a little... Enjoy


Taco Salad

1 lb ground beef (I usually buy lean meat) or can use ground chicken or turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 packet of Taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup water.
Additonal seasonings (optional) (I use cumin, chili powder,paprika, onion & garlic powder & a pinch of red pepper flakes)


Salad fixings of your choice ( I use lettuce, tomato, black olives, sliced green onion,  & avacado's)
Sour cream
Shredded Cheese
Dressing (creamy french or ranch)
Cheese Doritos

In large skillet add ground beef & chopped onion.  Saute until onion is soft & meat is no longer pink and fully cooked (drain fat off if necessary).  Add envelope of taco seasoning mix,water & additional seasonings & saute for 2-3 minutes until thickened.

On large plate place lettuce & salad toppings of your choice, add hot meat sprinkled over salad, drizzle salad with dressing, crush Doritos and place over the top and sprinkle top with cheese. Seve with Sour cream on the side.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment