Friday, March 16, 2012

Reuben Quesidilla with Homemade Russian Dressing

Happy St. Patrick's Day :)  I love Reuben sandwiches in any way shape or form... sandwiches, grilled Panini's, Reuben dip... I love cornbeef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese & Russian Dressing together...it's a marriage of ingredients made in heaven.... well my husband would disagree cause he doesn't like sauerkraut at all in any way shape or form...LOL  but what I don't like is how sometimes the sandwiches are made... I like my sauerkraut "wrung out"...meaning that I like it dry with the liquid squeezed out.  I don't like a soggy Reuben sandwich.  Also people make Russian dressing sometimes with just mayo & ketchup no other flavorings... you all know me... I love flavorful things... nothing bland about my food...LOL :)  so my Russian dressing is kicked up a little with lots of flavor.  I also cook my Rueben and add the sauerkraut when it is done and the Russian dressing.  I like the cold sauerkraut next to the hot sandwich.  Also when you cook the sandwich/quesidilla the Russian dressing oozes out all over the pan when added before you grill the sandwich  and I want the dressing on my sandwich/quesidilla NOT on the pan.  So I decided after trial and error to add them both (sauerkraut & russian dressing to the finished product.  This can be done with bread instead of the tortilla as well so either a sandwich/or a quesidilla the technique is the same way.  The only difference is if you use bread butter the outside of the bread like you would a grilled cheese... Both equally yummy... Enjoy
* note the Russian dressing recipe makes enough for 2 quesidilla/sandwiches.  (For the quesidilla I serve the dressing on the side to dip the quarters (I cut the quesidilla's into quarters) into.

Reuben Quesidilla

2 tortillas
4 slices swiss cheese
1/4 lb. thinly sliced cornbeef (from the deli)
1/4 cup cold sauerkraut, squeezed dry)
Russian Dressing *  see recipe below

In a skillet place a tortilla.  Add 2 slices of swiss cheese.  Spread cornbeef out in an even layer.  Top with other 2 slices of cheese, top with tortilla.  Turn heat on to medium and cook occasionally pressing down on tortilla.  Turn sandwich over when tortilla is a light golden brown.  Cook on other side until all the cheese is melted and sandwich is hot and golden brown.  Remove from heat and place on plate, carefully open tortilla (be careful it is hot) and add in an even layer the cold sauerkraut. Cut into corners ( I use a pizza wheel cutter) and serve Russian dressing on the side.  Enjoy


Russian Dressing
1/4 cup mayo
1 T ketchup
1 T sweet pickle relish
2 dashes hot sauce
1 T banana pepper juice (from the jar of peppers)

Whisk all ingredients together.

1 comment:

  1. This one is definitely going on my "to do" list. I love reubens too.

    ReplyDelete