Sunday, June 30, 2013

Calico baked beans

I LOVE these beans... everywhere I take them, they get devoured.  Tasty, and they make the house smell good too... I use all different kinds of beans, but use what you have and love.  You can also make them when cooking the meat mixture instead of putting them on the stove to simmer, put them in a crockpot and simmer them say for a party or open house too. So good.  You want these thickened and delicious.  Even my 3 year old Jackson asks me "mommy make me beans"... LOL so they must be good :)

 Make these soon..enjoy


**NOTE* I use a little more brown sugar because I like my baked beans sweeter.  Start with 1/2 cup and just add extra if you like your beans on the sweeter side. I usually use 1 cup..
Also instead of cutting up raw bacon, you can also use a package of precooked bacon pieces or bits to save yourself some time *just remember to take out the" do not eat" packet.  Put those in with the beans.


Calico baked beans


3 strips bacon, sliced
1 onion, small diced
1/4 cup green (or yellow, red, orange sweet) pepper, small diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 lb. hamburger (I used ground chuck/sirloin)
 1 medium sized 28 oz. can Bush's baked beans
1 15.5 oz (regular size) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5 oz (regular size)can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5 oz (regular size) can butter beans, drained and rinsed
1  15.5 oz (regular size)can northern beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup white wine
1 to 1 1/2 cups ketchup
2 T mustard
1 T white wine vinegar
1 T worchester sauce
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar

seasonings of your choice ( I used onion & garlic powder, paprika, pinch of chili powder, red pepper flakes& cayenne, cumin,  black pepper and just a pinch of seasoned salt & kosher salt)

In large dutch oven place hamburger, bacon (if using raw), onion, & green pepper. Cook and break up meat until meat is done.  Add garlic clove and stir around cooking for a couple of minutes until garlic is no longer raw.  Add remaining ingredients (don't forget if using bacon pieces(bits) add now)  and stir well.  Bring to low boil, turn heat down & simmer for 30 minutes or until beans are thickened.  Taste and adjust seasonings or brown sugar as needed.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment