Saturday, June 29, 2013

Dr. Pepper cake

My family loves Dr. Pepper pop.. I hate it....not my thing... when I saw a recipe floating around online for Dr. Pepper cake, I though ah ha...then when I looked at several recipes that called for a cup of butter, I thought wait a sec. and then I did a little research of reviews and several did not get good reviews... so thought hmmm.. better come up with my own easy recipe that still tastes good.  I used the pop in both the cake and icing.  It was good, had just a hint of the pop flavor, but next time I am putting maraschino cherry juice in both the cake & icing (cause they wanted more cherry pop flavor).  this has a very slight pop flavor, even I could eat it and like it...tasted like chocolate cake with just a little something... make this for your family..enjoy

**NOTE.. I used Betty Crocker triple chocolate cake mix (which has little chocolate chunks in the cake mix, but use what you like.
Also:  for the icing, you might depending on how hot, humid or damp it is adjust the amount of powdered sugar you use.  I added more cause I made it on a hot humid day, then I added too much powdered sugar, then had to add a little more pop to thin it out... 



Dr. Pepper cake


1 chocolate cake mix (**see note)
1 small box instant chocolate fudge pudding mix (I used sugar free cause it's what I had)
4 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups Dr. Pepper pop
1/8 cup maraschino cherry juice (optional)
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350. Spray either a 13x9 or a bundt pan with nonstick spray. In large bowl place all of the ingredients, mix with a electric mix for 2 minutes.  Pour into whatever pan you are using. Place in preheated oven, and bake according to package directions (I baked my 13x9 for around 30 minutes).  Insert a toothpick into the center to make sure it comes out clean) remove from oven.  Let cool completely.  If using bundt pan after 3 minutes invert cake onto platter to let cool.



Dr. Pepper chocolate buttercream icing


4-5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup Dr. Pepper
2-3 T sour cream
1 stick butter, softened
1 t vanilla
1 T maraschino cherry juice (optional)
1/4 cup cocoa powder


In large bowl with electric mixer cream butter, add sour cream, cocoa powder, vanilla, cherry juice and Dr. Pepper mix well (be careful cause it will splash and be liquidy) Add powdered sugar 1 cupful at a time until icing comes together and is spreadable.  Depending on the humidity etc, you will have to adjust the powdered sugar until you have a soft spreadable icing.  Taste to make sure it taste okay.  Spread over cooled cake.  Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. This would be a true hit at our house...I just baked a cake yesterday that was simply a cake mix and can of pop. I would definitely want the added cherry juice...MMMM!

    ReplyDelete