Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Meatloaf with "doctored" up Kraft Mac & Cheese

My 6 year old is sick with strep throat...He requested meatloaf and Kraft mac and cheese for dinner.... sigh... I hate mac and cheese out of a box ...so I had to "doctor" it up so that I could eat it... so bear with me.. this is my "doctored" up version. I so would of rather had mashed potatoes with this... so much better  This meatloaf is a new variation that I came up with out of boredom with my regular meatloaf.... it turned out great... you could really taste the tomato paste & red wine... yummy and moist...I also made carrot & raisin salad with mandarin oranges,  **note....see my previous blog for that recipe, but alas couldn't get the 6 year old to eat that... throat too sore... but hey now... I tried getting more veggies & fruit in him.. maybe next time.... Enjoy
Serves 4


1 lb. ground chuck
1 egg
3/4 cup oatmeal, raw not cooked
2 T. tomato paste
1 T. worchester sauce
1 clove garlic minced
2 T. red wine
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup each ketchup, & BBQ sauce (extra for putting on top)
1T. mustard

seasonings of your choice ( I used garlic and herb no salt, seasoned salt & pepper, onion powder, dried onions ( a tablespoon of them)

Preheat oven to 350.
In large bowl combine all ingredients mixing well.  Place foil on baking sheet.  Spray with cooking spray.  Shape into oval flat loan about 1-2 inches thick, pat down with hands to an even thickness.  Drizzle top with ketchup and BBQ sauce.  Bake for about 50-60 minutes until done. 

"Doctored" up Kraft Mac & Cheese

1 package Kraft Mac & cheese
butter & milk called for on package directions
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup shredded co-jack cheese
1/2 tsp each onion & garlic powder
sprinkle of seasoned salt & pepper

Make mac and cheese according to package direction.  Add remaining ingredients and stir well until cooking over low heat until cheese is melted and it is bubbly.... Serve...


  1. Now I think I could really enjoy your doctored mac n cheese! Add sour cream and cheese to anything and I'm willing to try it. Meatloaf sounds mouth watering also! Hope you don't get sick mom!

  2. Thanks so much :) and really hoping I don't get sick.... had enough sickness this year to last a LONG time....LOL

  3. A must try on the meat loaf. I am one that doesn't really change up my meat loaf recipe much, but I am willing to try this one.
    What a great mom to fill a sick child's food request.

  4. Aww thanks Angie.... I am like you always use the same meatloaf... but thinking ready for a change...now I can switch it up.... easy and most everything I usually have on hand....