Thursday, December 22, 2011

Chicken Liver Pate

My family has been making this stuff as long as I can remember at Christmas time.  This family recipe just means Christmas to me.. my husband won't even try this even though I tell him to be "a foodie" and be adventurous... nothing doing... but I guess that means more for me :)  LOL just kidding love ya honey...;)

You can use any red wine that you like, I usually use Merlot.  Use what you like:)  also I double the recipe since I am going to the work of doing it, I usually make it and share with family members.  Also the recipe calls for 1/2 t garlic powder... I usually sprinkle a little in each stage along with a little salt & pepper.  I am not great at measuring (which is why I usually don't bake much)... anyways taste the mixture at the end and make sure that the seasonings are right on.... The flavors will blend a little and become stronger the longer it sits so don't over do it....
We serve this with crispy crackers/breaksticks. Enjoy


Chicken Liver Pate

1 lb. chicken livers
1-2 medium onions, chopped
1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
6 slices raw bacon, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red wine
5 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1/2 t garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste


In large pan (I use a chicken fryer/dutch oven) over medium high heat place onions and bacon.  Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder & salt & pepper.  Cook stirring very often so the onions don't burn, until mixture is a little over 1/2 of the way done.  Add chicken livers another light sprinkling of garlic powder, & salt pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes stirring often.  Add parsley flakes, & red wine bringing mixture up to a boil.  Turn heat down and cover pan cooking for an additonal 10 minutes or until livers are no longer pink and bacon is done (it will be soft and not crispy).  Let mixture cool with the lid off the pan for 5 minutes.  Be careful the mixture is still hot, place mixture in large food processor place mixture (*note if making a double batch only process 1/2 the mixture at a time since the really hot mixture will expand & could cause a boil over) sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper & garlic powder.  Process until mixture is completely combined and smooth.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Pour into heatproof container (again cause mixture is hot) let cool completely cover and put into refridgerator for several hours for flavors to combine.  Serve with crackers/breadstick.  Keep leftovers refridgerated... Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard of this but never tried it myself. Coming from you, it has to be great. I think I will try this for my new year celebration.

    ReplyDelete