Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sweet Spicy Salty Roasted Chickpeas

Can I say oh my gosh these little nibbles are awesome !!!! :)  I have been seeing and hearing all of the buzz about these little roasted chickpeas and I am like hmm roasted chickpeas..really... then I have seen sweet ones, savory ones, spicy ones which have gotten me curious.. I was like alright I have got to try these and oh my goodness am I glad I did.... they really are addicting and absolutely delicious.  I am not too crazy about chickpeas in salads and stuff like that but these crunchy little nibbles are yummy...I dry roasted them for 30 minutes and then added the seasonings watching them carefully so that they don't burn. 
Enjoy

Sweet Spicy Salty Roasted Chickpeas

2 cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed under cold water
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 t worchester sauce
1 T brown sugar

seasonings of your choice ( I used, Mrs. Dash, cayenne pepper (go easy this stuff is very spicy) seasoned salt,pepper garlic & onion powder)
kosher salt for lightly sprinkling before they go into the oven

To serve
kosher salt for sprinkling
1-2 T brown sugar
1 t additional cayenne pepper (or cajun seasoning blend)

Preheat oven to 350.
In colander drain 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsing the starch off under cold water.  Lay chickpeas on baking sheet and dry completely with paper towels spreading out in an even flat layer.  Roast chickpeas for around 30 minutes.  In measuring cup mix olive oil, worchester sauce & brown sugar along with seasoning ingredients mixing well.  Pour over chickpeas and with spoon mix well coating evenly all of the chickpeas.  Spread out in a flat single layer and spinkle lightly with kosher salt.  Place back in oven for around 15-20 minutes or until chickpeas are crispy and lightly browned watching carefully not to burn.  Remove from oven sprinkle lightly with kosher salt, stir then let cool.  When almost cool & barely warm, (you don't want the brown sugar to melt, you want it to just stick to the outside along with the seasonings) sprinkle with 1-2 T. brown sugar, and a little additonal cayenne pepper (or I just used Cajun seasoning blend) , place into serving bowl, serve and nibble away... enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment